This article focuses on how the psychology of spring impacts how customers engage with your brand. Remember, this month is all about creating momentum to “spring forward” our branding efforts.
Temperature, humidity, and, especially sunlight can have a huge impact on a consumer’s mind frame and by extension their spending. A 2010 study by Kyle B. Murray revealed that exposure to sunlight dramatically increased levels of consumption as well as the amount spent per item. Experiments show consumers would willingly pay 37% more for green tea and 56% more for gym membership after being exposed to sunlight. Similarly, a study by Persinger and Levesque found that 40% of mood evaluations were accounted for by a combination of meteorological events; in particular, barometric pressure and sunshine.
What does this mean for your brand? This is the time of year when people are subconsciously looking for new and exciting experiences! They are acting on what the season represents – rebirth and refresh. People are more receptive to discovery, exploration, and trying new things. This is the time of year we most want to be active, positive, and progressive. And, we seek brands that mirror who we want to be.
The good news. This is one of the best times for many businesses to introduce new customers to your brand – especially if is something that involves going outside to experience you. This is the time of year that brick and mortar stores typically do better than online stores. Subconsciously, we are in better moods and that makes us more receptive to trying something new. Net – this is the perfect time of year for most small businesses to dedicate resources to a strong trial program.
The bad news. This is also the time of year that your current customers could start to get the wandering eye. You need to refresh your brand and remind them why they love you. This is not about repeating the same ol’, same ol’. Rather, I would encourage you to think about introducing your customers to something new in your offering. Reassure them that you are progressing and growing.
Net – taking advantage of mood state is a critical component of building a strong brand. There are some simple things you can incorporate today to help build a better brand.
PLAN “BEE”: How to apply this to your business
- What is the ONE THING you could do TODAY to give your brand a “Spring refresh” appearance?
- For example, if you have a brick and mortar store, could you rearrange the furniture or change a picture on your wall? Even adding (or changing) your welcome sign. For an online store, could you send out an email campaign with a refreshed look or refresh something on your page?
- If you sell products, is there a different way you could display it or different language you could use to talk about it? Maybe there is a different feature you could highlight this time around?
- If YOU are your brand, what new skill or information could you share?
- What is ONE THING you could do to take advantage of the subconscious consumer behavior that the “newness of Spring” creates? Remember, building a brand is about making these emotional and subconscious connections. The more you can tap into this, the better.